Growing up in California, I used to spend my summers driving up the coast through Big Sur, Monterey and Carmel. So when I got the chance to explore the Southern Oregon Coast, I was super excited. I didn’t really know what to expect but ended up being very surprised at just how many different things one could do on the coast and just how beautiful it was. You could easily spend a week exploring the area. With its winding roads, lighthouses and beautiful ocean scenery, the Southern Oregon Coast is the perfect getaway for anyone who loves adventure.
The Oregon Coast consists of three portions- the North Coast, Central Coast and South Coast. The South Oregon Coast consists of the coastal area from Reedsport to Brookings. And while I didn’t get to see and do everything the Southern Oregon Coast offers, here are a few activities I highly recommend.
1. Explore the san dunes in Coos Bay-Take a walk along the san dunes and view the ocean from the top or if you are brave enough, rent an ATV to cruise up and down the dunes.
2. After exploring the san dunes, stop by 7 Devils Brewing Co. and try some of their thirst quenching beer.
3. Do and/or anything with cranberries while in Bandon- Bandon is known as the Cranberry Capital of Oregon. Everything in town revolves around such slogan. Visit a cranberry farm and see how the berries are harvested or simply have a cranberry pastry from Bandon Baking Co. 4. Visit a lighthouse- The entire Oregon Coast is filled with lighthouses and quite honestly, they are the one of my favorite things to visit while on the coast. The South Coast has 5 lighthouses- Umqua River, Cape Arago,Coquille River, Cape Blanco and Pelican Bay.
5. Try some award winning beer at Arch Rock Brewing-In the tiny little town of Gold Beach, there is a small brewery that makes some kick ass beer. Seriously, they have the World Beer Cup awards to prove it!
6. Visit Samuel H. Boardman State Park- This state park is probably one of my favorite places in all of Oregon. Along mile marker 344.6 is Arch Rock and at mile marker 346 is Natural Bridge, some of the most picturesque natural wonders in all of Oregon.
7. View the coast from the top of a cliff- Pull out at any turn out and just take in the views from the top.